Common Questions About UK Mobile Casinos
Are Mobile Casinos Legal in the United Kingdom?
To put it simply, yes, mobile casinos and online casino apps are completely legal in the UK. Despite the governing laws of online casinos in the UK coming into effect well before the boom in mobile casino game play, the current laws cover mobile casinos in the UK, legalising the practice for all players over the legal age of consent.
Gambling has been a part of the culture in the United Kingdom for decades, with the modern state of things starting to take shape in the 60s. The Betting and Gaming Act 1960 paved the way for real-world casinos in Britain, and subsequent acts have addressed innovations in the gaming industry as they have arisen.
The Gambling Act 2005 was the first such act to touch on the topic of online gaming. The 2005 Act allowed for online casinos to operate in the United Kingdom as long as they procure a casino license from the Gambling Commission, while a 2014 revision of the law tightened up regulatory standards to ensure safe a fair online gambling for all players.
Are Mobile Online Casinos Popular in the UK?
Like the rest of the modernized world, the UK has become increasingly hooked on mobile devices in the past few decades, a trend that shows no signs of stopping. This is a two-fold transformation as well, as the number of smart device users is increasing, as is the average time those users spend on those devices.
Recent estimates saw there are 38 million smartphone users in the United Kingdom, a number that represents over half of the population and 70 percent of all mobile phone owners. A similar percentage of UK households own a tablet device. In 2015 average time spent on mobile devices in the UK surpassed time spent on desktop and laptop computers for the first time.
As of that year, UK mobile users spent an average of 2 hours and 26 minutes on their mobile devices, an increase of 27 minutes from 2014. Comparatively, the same user base spent 2 hours and 13 minutes on their computers. Additionally, it appears that the amount of time users will spend on their mobile devices will continue to grow at a decent pace for the foreseeable future. All told, this data paints a rosy picture for mobile casino operators.
With so many citizens across the United Kingdom spending so much time on their mobile devices, it would make sense that they would be playing more casino games on those devices. Much to the relief of casino operators, solid data seems to be backing up that assumption. By some accounts over 50% of online casino customers express a preference for playing games on their mobile devices, a number that should only rise going forward.
What are the Most Popular Mobile Networks in the UK?
Mobile users in the United Kingdom have a huge number of mobile networks to choose from, but by and large customers get their mobile service from one of five main providers:
- Vodafone | Provides 2G coverage to virtually the entire UK, with already great 3G and 4G coverage getting better all the time.
- O2 | Outdoor coverage is very strong for most of the UK, with some notable blind spots in Scotland. O2 also provides public wifi hotspots throughout the United Kingdom.
- T-Mobile | T-Mobile provides customers with one of the fastest 4G networks in the United Kingdom, and they have made a public commitment to providing 4G coverage to 95% of the UK in the next four years.
- Orange | Orange is a part of the Everything Everywhere partnership, which also includes T-Mobile. As a result they have the same 4G coverage goal, and can currently boast 98% 3G coverage.
- Three (3) | Berkshire-based Three currently provides 3G coverage to 97% of the UK population.
What Mobile Casinos are Based in the United Kingdom?
Almost all mobile casinos are regulated by the UK Gaming Commission, but many have their headquarters in smaller nations such as Malta or Gibraltar. That does not mean none of them call the United Kingdom home, however. Here are of some of the top mobile casinos that call the UK home:
|Mobile Casino||UK Headquarter Location|
What are the Most Popular Mobile Casino Payment Options in the UK?
The digital age has brought about an embarrassment of riches when it comes to digital transactions, with new and innovative funding options entering the online casino market all the time. The size of the UK market means that most mobile casinos have adopted at least some of those options, while still allowing users to utilize older payment methods.
Here is a sampling of some of the most popular ways to deposit and withdraw funds from an online casino account on a mobile device:
- Credit Cards | The two biggest names in credit card services are Visa and Mastercard, and you would be hard pressed to find a mobile online casino that doesn't accept them.
- PayPal | One of the earliest web-based funding options, PayPal has been around since 1999 and now stands as one of the most used and most trusted payment options on the planet, especially with mobile casinos.
- Entropay | Entropay provides customers with a prepaid Virtual Visa or Plastic Mastercard, which can be used anywhere that those cards are accepted, including mobile casinos.
- Boku | One of the newest and most intriguing funding options is paying by mobile, an arena where Boku is the leader. The idea behind Boku and similar services is that users can simply input their mobile phone number to pay for things and those charges are then applied to their mobile phone bill. Pay by mobile services are still emerging and evolving, but some mobile casinos already accept them, and more should follow suit in due time.
Which Mobile Casinos in the UK Have Apps?
Dedicated mobile applications have an inherent advantage over browser-only mobile casinos because of designs that are optimized for specific operating systems. Unfortunately, these apps also take up device memory, so many players prefer to play in-browser, which is driving many casinos to eschew dedicated applications. Thankfully, there are casinos that still see value in the app-based model. Some of the best mobile casino apps are below.
|Casino||Android App?||iOS App?|
Which Mobile Casinos Accept Players in the UK?
The United Kingdom may be the most fertile marketplace for mobile casinos on the planet, thanks to a combination of gaming-friendly laws, first-world infrastructure, and the culture’s love of mobile devices. It should come as no surprise then that the best mobile casinos on the planet all court players from the UK, counting them among their most important and celebrated customers. Some of the top mobile casinos that accept players from the United Kingdom include: